Columbia University has introduced SAP Concur, a new travel and business expense management system, which is a web-based and mobile enabled tool that has replaced paper-based forms. With Concur Travel, travelers can book domestic and international flights and make reservations for rental cars, hotels, and rail, with purchase information flowing directly into Concur Expense. Concur Expense streamlines the preparation of expense reports and helps you manage receipts, expenses, and travel from your mobile device. Read the following high-level overview presentation of Concur: Concur Overview Webinar for Staff
Getting Started with Concur
Introductory Training for All Users
This web-based training is for all users of Concur, both travel and expense. You can access the training here. Depending on which modules of this training are pertinent to you, this should take about 1 to 1.5 hours to complete. Please note that you should submit the associated Training Acknowledgement to attest to training completion.
Approver Training for Supervisors/Managers
This web-based training is only for users who have been assigned a Supervisor/Manager role. You can access the training here. This training should take about 30 to 45 minutes to complete. Please note that the Introductory Training (for all users) should be taken prior to the Approver Training.
The Approver Training includes a Knowledge Assessment for which a 90% or higher grade must be achieved before the Concur approval role is assigned to you.
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com
Travel & Business Expense Reports
The following policies relates to legitimate and reasonable travel and business expenses incurred on behalf of the University. These policies are governed by Columbia University and conform to federal as well as state law and the restrictions placed upon sponsored projects:
To learn how to create and complete a Travel and Business Expense Report to request reimbursement for expenses you incurred, view and download the following job aid:
Job Aid: Creating Expense Reports in Concur
Watch this video demonstration to learn how to create and submit a business expense report in Concur: Creating and Submitting a Business Expense Report
Watch this video demonstration to learn how to create and submit a travel expense report in Concur: Creating and Submitting a Travel Expense Report
Users can assign delegates to act on their behalf and prepare their expense reports. To act as delegate and prepare expense reports on behalf of others, the delegate must select the user on their Profile under "Acting as other user." A delegate can only prepare the report, therefore the user will be required to submit the report for approval in Concur.
Users should follow this job aid for guidance on how to assign and manage their delegates:
Job Aid: Assign and Manage Delegates
By default, Students are not opted-in and do not have access to Concur. To assist Students with reimbursable expenses, a Staff member can create and complete a Travel and Business Expense Report on behalf of the Student.
To request reimbursement for a Student, the user must select CU Non-Profiled Payee as the Type of Report. Please follow our Report Header Guidance when completing the Create New Report screen in Concur. The following worksheet should be completed and included with the expense report:
Guidance for users completing the report header in the Create New Report screen in Concur:
Type of Report
Select from the drop-down menu:
- CU Business Expenses to reimburse Faculty and Staff for business related items (non-travel)
- CU Non-Profiled Payee to reimburse Student Employee and Student Non-Employee
- CU Travel Expenses to reimburse Faculty and Staff for travel related items when traveling on University business
School, Division, Sub-Division and Admin Department
This section should default from your Concur Profile, but you can edit if necessary
Use the following report naming convention: Payee's UNI and Payee's Name
- Example: MMG42 Maritza Marie Gretzky
Select the overall purpose from the drop-down menu
Detailed Business Purpose
Include the SpeedChart information followed by a detailed explanation of the business purpose:
- Example: 55AOP30J Law Administration Professional Development. Maritza incurred expenses to attend a Conference related to Learning & Development at NYU on September 10, 2020.
Vendor Type and Vendor Name/ID
These two fields will appear only if you chose "CU Non-Profiled Payee" as the Type of Report. This step only applies when you are reimbursing a Student:
Select the appropriate Vendor Type from the drop-down menu:
- Student Employee
- Student Non-Employee
Select the correct Vendor Name/ID which is the Student Profile (CNR#######)
- Suggestion: Click on the filter icon to search by Vendor Name (Text) or Vendor ID (Code). If no results are found, please reconsider the Vendor Type you previously selected.
GL BU, Department, PC Business Unit, Project, Activity, Initiative, Segment, Site
These ChartFields default from your Concur Profile, but you may need to override any of the existing values to match the values of the SpeedChart you selected.
- Example: If the GL BU, Department, PC Business Unit, Project, Activity, Initiative values all match, but the Segment appears to be different. Override the existing value in the Segment field to match the value in the Segment you see in the SpeedChart.
The payee is expected to obtain receipts for all expenses. A receipt may take many forms (i.e. cash register receipt, copy of an order form, web receipt or confirmation). A complete receipt must identify:
- Date of purchase
- Vendor name
- Itemized list and unit price of the purchased items
- Total amount
Receipts are strictly required for the following expenses:
- Car rental
For other expenses, if you were not able to obtain a receipt, lost the receipt, or the receipt is incomplete (i.e. not itemized), you may create a Missing Receipt Declaration (Affidavit) for the expense under Manage Receipts.
To learn how to add a Missing Receipt Declaration for those Expense Item missing required receipts, view and download the following job aid:
Proof of Payment
The payee is also expected to obtain proof of payment for all expenses. Proof of payment is usually included in the receipt with a notation of:
- "Cash tendered"
- A zero balance due
- Debit/Credit card payment (card type, last four digits of card and/or signature)
If no proof of payment is available in this form (i.e. missing or incomplete receipt), a debit or credit card statement may be provided. You may black out any private or unrelated information. If an expense was paid in cash, add a comment stating it was paid in cash.
To learn how to itemize hotels and/or lodging on a Travel Expense Report in Concur, view and download the following job aid:
Watch this video demonstration to learn how to itemize hotels and/or lodging on a Travel Expense Report in Concur: Itemizing Hotel/Lodging in a Travel Expense Report
Users can specify the currency when they are adding the details of the expense. Once the amount is entered in foreign currency and the currency type is updated, the fields displaying the conversion rate and the amount in USD will automatically appear. The conversion rate automatically updates based on the transaction date.
- Do I need to take training?
- Yes, all Concur users must complete a web based training. To access the training, please click on the following link and login with your UNI and password. Then click “Launch” or “View Summary” to start the course:
- How do I save my receipts?
- You can upload your legible receipts into Concur directly from your computer or you can download the Concur Mobile app and take legible photos of the receipts.
- How do I set up my Concur profile?
- Travel and Expense users should follow this training guide:
- How many delegates can a person have?
- You can add as many delegates as you want.
- Can I set up delegates on behalf of others?
- No, delegates must be set up by the user.
- Can delegates submit reports they prepare on behalf of others?
- No, delegates can only prepare the report.
- Do students have access to Concur?
- No. Student Non-Employees and Student Employees are not opted in and therefore do not have access. The department needs to create and submit the report on behalf of the Student by selecting "CU Non-Profiled Payee" as the type of report in Concur.
- Can I submit a report with expenses over 365 days old?
- No, expenses over 365 days old will not be reimbursed.
- Can I use Mileage/Loyalty programs?
- Yes, you absolutely can.
- Can I travel Business Class?
- Business and First Class travel requires CFO approval in advance of the trip.
- How can I access Concur?
- You can access Concur from your desktop, laptop, tablet, or mobile phone.
- What kind of access do I have in Concur?
- The following employees should have default access to Expense only (non-travelers):
- Administrative Support Staff
- Officers of Instruction
- Officers of Research
- Officers of the Libraries
- Officers of Administration
- Which file format should I use to save my receipts?
- We recommend to save all your receipts as PDF (Portable Document Format)
- Are there any available mobile tools?
- Yes, there are three mobile applications available to users:
- Concur Mobile - to book travel, capture receipts, approve requests and expense reports.
- TripIt Pro - to monitor your itinerary with real-time flight alerts, flight check-in, terminal/gate reminders, and airport maps.
- International SOS (ISOS) - to get immediate help by one-click dialing to the closest ISOS Assistance Centre, receive advice prior and during your trip with mobile-friendly medical and security information.