Resources for Employees
Tools & Resources for Employees
- Anti-Harassment, Discrimination and Title IX - All employees of Columbia University (Officers of Administration and Instruction, Support Staff, Student Casuals, etc) are required to complete the Anti-Harassment, Discrimination and Title IX training.
- New York Anti-Sexual Harassment Training - All employees, including faculty, staff, researchers, librarians, and student workers, are mandated under New York State and New York City legislation to complete this training. It will be assigned upon your hiring date, at which you will have 30 days to complete.
- Working with Minors - Members of the Columbia University community who interact with, supervise, chaperone or otherwise oversee minors in programs or activities at, or sponsored by, the University are required to take the Protection of Minors training.
- Research Compliance - Officers of Research or those who have research-related responsibilities are required to complete the appropriate compliance trainings, which can be found using the Training Finder.
Professional & Management
Effective 1/1/2021, the existing New York City Earned Safe and Sick Time Act was amended to increase the number of safe and sick hours from 40 to 56 and provides for immediate use as soon as it is earned. Important: these hours are not in addition to sick time provided by the University. These hours run concurrently.
Casuals and Variable Hours Officers earn New York Safe and Sick Time at a rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 56 hours earned in a fiscal year.
Support Staff and Student Casuals
Employees who are paid on a bi-weekly basis are expected to report their hours worked and absences taken each pay period. This information is entered and submitted electronically through the Time & Labor and Absence Management (TLAM) system, accessed via the MyColumbia portal.
- Timesheets are typically due on the Friday at the end of each pay period. However, deadlines may be moved earlier due to holiday scheduling. Please always refer to the Bi-weekly Payroll Schedule.
- Employees are typically paid the following Friday after the pay period.
Officers of Administration
Employees who are paid on a semi-monthly basis are expected to report their absences on an ongoing basis. Absences, such as vacation and sick leave, need to be requested through the Time & Labor and Absence Management (TLAM) system, accessed via the MyColumbia portal.
- Officers are required to review and submit their Officer Quarterly Closeouts at the end of each quarter.
- Payment is issued on the 15th and the last day of the month.
As an employee of Columbia University, you have access to a variety of discounts and perks. Discounts include tickets to movies theaters and amusement parks, wireless phone plans, travel, gym memberships, hotels, car rentals, and much more. For additional information and how to access these discounts, please see the Columbia Discounts & Perks page.
Columbia University's Office of Work/Life encourages the well-being of the Columbia community and its members in pursuit of a healthy academic, personal, and work life balance. Their office provides services and access to:
Columbia University Transportation offers a number of travel options and information that allow the Columbia community safe, efficient, and timely travel to, from, and within Columbia campuses. Download the Shuttle App - PassioGo! - to check the location and routes.
Information on mass transit, biking, ride shares, and sustainability incentives, visit the Columbia Transportation page.