International Students

If you are being hired at the Law School and you do not hold US citizenship, in addition to the Hire Packet, you may need to apply for a Social Security Number (if you do not already have one). 



Necessary Paperwork

You will be required to bring the following documents to the I-9 office in Kent Hall and the Human Resource office when you submit your completed hiring paperwork:

  • Passport with valid US visa
  • I-94 arrival record
  • I-20 
  • Social Security Number application receipt



Applying for a Social Security Number

To request a US Social Security Number, please reach out to your supervisor. They will provide you with the authorization letter, which you will take to the ISSO office on Columbia University campus. With the receipt from the ISSO office, you will go to the Social Security Administration office located at 123 William Street, New York, NY 10038.