Student Casual

In order to begin working at a new job on campus, you must first file all of the required verification and tax documents with your hiring department.

If you are appointed as a Student Officer (e.g., Teaching Assistant, Graduate Research Assistant) at another school, please contact or stop by the HR office in William C. Warren Hall (410 West 116th Street) 2nd Floor, for additional information.


Introduce yourself to your departmental administrator

You need to make sure a Columbia Law School Human Resources representative knows you have been hired in order for your assignment to be processed correctly and for you to be paid on time.

Complete all required new hire paperwork

You will not be paid, until all of your new hire paperwork has been completed and submitted to Human Resources for processing.

Employment Eligibility: The Form I-9 is required for all newly hired employees who will be working in the United States to verify that you are eligible to work in the United States.

  • As soon as you have accepted your new position, complete Section 1 of the I-9 Form.
  • Within 3 business days of your start date, visit an I-9 Service Center to complete Form I-9, Section 2. There are I-9 center locations on the Morningside, Manhattanville, CUMC and Lamont-Doherty campuses.
  • Remember to bring the appropriate original documents with you, as listed in Section 1 of the I-9 online. The list of acceptable documents (link is external) can be found on the USCIS website.
  • Please confirm with your department manager what your date of hire is.  This is required for the Form I-9.

Tax Forms: All new hires must complete the Federal Form W-4 and state tax forms before receiving a paycheck. These forms provide the University payroll system with the required information to set up the appropriate tax withholding from your paycheck.

Casual Employment Form/NYS 195 Form: This will be provided to you by your hiring department. You must review the information, sign and return it to your departmental administrator or human resources representative.
Students Appointed as a Student Officer

If you hold a student officer appointment you cannot work more than 20 hours per week in all positions.  If you are offered a casual job in addition to your student officer appointment, please discuss with the departmental administrator in the department in which you hold the student officer appointment.


Confirm Department Timesheet Requirements

Signed timesheets are required to be submitted to Human Resources at the end of each pay period. Timely submission of your timesheet will ensure that you are paid for the work done in that period. Please discuss the time sheet submission process with a human resources representative or supervisor. Blank copies of the University timesheet for bi-weekly casual employees can be located on the Forms and Instructions page. Please remember you will not get paid if you do not submit a completed timesheet to the appropriate person in the department in which you are working.

Set Up Direct Deposit

Once your hiring paperwork has been completed and you are entered into the University payroll system, People at Columbia (PAC), we recommend that you sign up for the free direct deposit service. Your paycheck will then be automatically deposited to your back account(s) each payday.

Review Payroll Calendar

Most student employees are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Confirmation of your pay frequency was provided on the Casual Employment Form or NYS 195 Form you signed as part of your new hire paperwork.  The payroll calendar provides the specific dates on which you will receive your paycheck (please see student casual payroll packet located on the Forms and Instructions page). 

View Your Paycheck

Once you are hired into the University HR system (PAC) you will be able to view each of your paychecks via the my.Columbia portal (link is external). Simply log in with your UNI and password, and click on "View Your Paycheck" under Self-Service.